, ,

Not for me, but my husband has been in the hospital for a few days and is home now. Luckily my schedule allows me to work from home (being a writer helps with this).  After the activity of the past few days he’s settling in and so am I.

The woman watching over the sick-bed 24/7. Not me!

The woman watching over the sick-bed 24/7. Not me!

This experience has left me perplexed about many, many things. Most particularly, I am perplexed by the lack of information about what exactly was happening through his experience.  Perhaps I somehow missed this in the flurry of in information about the generalities of his surgery.  After all, I misconstrued how long he actually would be in the hospital.


Waiting patient-ly

Waiting patient-ly

A for instance. He was complaining about some upper chest discomfort post-surgery.  His nurse indicated that this was probably CO2 being dispersed.  It occurred to me, many days later, that the surgery involved expanding his abdominal cavity with CO2.  Did anyone tell me this? I don’t think so. I don’t remember reading about it either.  Similarly, his breathing was ‘assisted” during surgery.  I knew that he was having a tube inserted, but I didn’t understand that basically he probably wasn’t doing his own breathing and that the activities he’s had to perform subsequently (coughing, breathing exercises) were to get his lungs working again. Because for 4 hours they were non-functional.

Post surgery, I did a little surfing on the web to see what information was shared with people undergoing abdominal surgery.  Surprisingly, or perhaps not so surprisingly, it’s all surface kinds of reassuring.

Perhaps they save those lovely details for the fine print forms you are signing absolving people of responsibility and liability.  Maybe the medical profession feels it’s better for people not to know the gory details of what’s going to happen. Or maybe, as I said, I somehow missed it all.

My second “rant” has to do with waiting.  Or perhaps efficiency.  Hospitals and health care are very efficient now with being sure you are the patient and that every piece of material is going to the right person (or more cynically, being charged to the correct account). But try to get out of the place. My sweetie was ok’d to go home at 7:30 am. I got there at 8:30 in full optimism.  It was noon when he went home.  Admittedly, there was some pre-release information and instruction we needed. But we did have a 45 minute wait between when he was dressed and when we finally left the hospital.

This is not efficient.  The airports I went through on my trip to Poland had wheelchairs waiting for my parents at arrival. That was efficient!

But we’re soldiering on. And I’m looking forward to tomorrow when I join up with Patti and other wonderful women of fashion for Visible Monday. Now if I could only figure out how to get those cool icons on my page.


Extra, extra: recipe for those on a “liquid” diet – Carrot/coconut soup

(I did this in a pressure cooker but directions here are for regular stovetop)

2 ½ – 3 cups of carrots, peeled and chopped
3 Tb. butter (or oil if you’d prefer to be vegan friendly)
½ cup mild chicken stock
2 ½ cups fresh carrot juice
1 “ ginger root chopped
½ – 1 can coconut milk
Saute chopped carrots for about 5 minutes, add stock, cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, bring carrot juice with ginger root to a boil.  Strain and add to carrots. Blenderize with your favorite method til smooth.  Add coconut milk (start with ½ can and add more to taste). Season w/ salt to taste.